Okay, I know — I especially have been really bad about posting lately. Believe it or not we’ve been leading a rather busy life lately with all of the nice weather, until this week….Yup, living in New England means 90 degree weather in May and 50 degree weather in June, but who’s keeping track really? We’ve been trying to spruce up the house some, well mostly Josh — but don’t let him fool you, I’ve done some planting 🙂 I’m sure some posts will come along regarding all of the lovely work we’ve been doing. I promise, we ARE going to get back into the swing of posting!
ANYWHO — speaking of New England weather…..for those couple of really warm weeks that we had, we were reeeeally enjoying grilling. You know what also comes along with beautiful weather and grilling….BBQ’s! 🙂 Condiments often have some hidden ‘sugar’ ingredients in them — with one of the primary ingredients being high fructose corn syrup. When we lived in North Carolina, we learned to love southern style BBQ sauce and ketchup, with the primary ingredient being vinegar. Then I started to think — what if I made my own sugar-free condiments? Then I found these great recipes.
Prep Time: Less than 5 minutes Cook Time: 0 minutes Total Time: 5-10 minutes
- 6 ounces tomato paste’
- 2/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp pepper
**If you choose to, you can add a sugar substitute of your choice to taste
1) Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth!
2) Use an air tight container and store in frig — YUP, that’s it!
Brown Spicy Mustard
Prep Time: 3 hours (sitting time) Cook Time: 0 minutes Total Time: 5-10 minutes to prepare
- 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup dry mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 Tbsp cold water
1) Place mustard seeds, vinegar, and red wine in a bowl and let it sit for 3 hours
2) Pour seed combination into a blender or food processor, add the water, and blend until smooth
3) Add the remainder of the dry ingredients and blend until smooth
4) Store in air tight container and store in frig prior to use